Parents Learning Together
Occupational Therapist guest speakers joined the group to share some amazing tips and tools to help our wee ones, and ourselves, get the sleep we all need to function optimally.
Five Sleep Tips:
- Create a bedtime routine at the same time every night such as brush teeth, put on pjs, tell a story.
- Relax before bedtime – keep activities calm and gentle like reading or listening to soft music.
- Keep regular sleep & wake times – this helps keep your child’s internal sleep clock in a regular pattern.
- Set up the environment – ensure proper lighting, temperature, noise, bedding materials.
- Avoid using screens 1-2 hours before bedtime – the artificial light created by iPads, phones, and computers stimulates, rather than calms, our children’s brains, limiting the use of screens before bedtime can help our children relax and get ready for bed.
You may be interested in exploring the following resources…
Places to Seek Support:
Pediatric Sleep Clinic – Alberta Children’s Hospital
MyKidz Pediatric Sleep Clinic