Parents Learning Together
Building Relationships with a New School
Fall registration is ongoing, and parents have many questions regarding how to advocate for their children in the school system. Parents Learning Together invited a Lead Early Learning Coordinator to help guide families through the process.
- Check out the school’s website
- Request a school tour – you can do this before the start of school in September
- Know how the school supports communication and resolution between home and school
- Attend the school’s Open House and attend Parent – Teacher conferences
- Call, visit, and email the principal
- Play on the school playground, maybe you’ll meet other parents or children
- Attend school council meetings – you can go before your child starts attending the school
Communicating with the School
- Your child’s teacher, principal, etc. want to hear from you
- When teachers have a relationship with parents, they know the child better, teaching and learning is improved
- You are not bothering a teacher with your communications; you are facilitating easier and smoother communication, especially if there is a tricky situation
- Don’t worry about your own communication skills!